1/04/2022

Books I Only Refer to When I'm Stunned into Complicity (Mean, Median, Mode)

social field guides pile up and 
overwhelm what is needed
file off the rough edges of reality
circumvent habitats where etiquette and charm
perform outmoded cha-cha dances
and pas-de-deux routines
temper our ongoing lack of humility
and tout unsustainable averages 

[RK, 1/4/22]


In This Pocket of the Universe

comfort food to offset the booster shot
considering the forever lack of sleep
a Star Wars themed crossword puzzle
folded yoga blanket on a hard-backed chair

the refrigerator hums sea chanties
in the winter I turn on all the lights
and examine exposed corners
do the water, tea, and coffee rituals

walking through a four AM house
mortality hovers, touches me, gives me a slight push
says: I could knock you down with my little finger
and there’s nothing you can do about it

[RK, 1/4/22]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midnight Snack I am stuffing my mouth with whole, rotting cantaloups, caravans of them, to avoid being the one who eats that precious...