4/20/2021

Interplanetary

Send me a telegram from Mars 

when you arrive. 


I will leave a light on, but I can’t 

tell you where I’ll be.


[LSS, 4/20/21]


Here on Earth


We’re lost in a tangle 

of deer trails and owl scat 

while coyotes and tree frogs 

argue about what time 

to set the alarm.


A bit of rain begins to fall,

and suddenly the night 

is upon us, a secret cinema 

entertaining us until dawn.


[LSS, 4/20/21]


Anything


I have felt that way about the sky 

on a dry summer day in Kansas, 


as though the trees were about 

to lift away, to drift away 


forever unless I thought 

something, said something, 


did something to give them 

weight and purpose.


[LSS, 4/20/21]



No comments:

Post a Comment

Midnight Snack I am stuffing my mouth with whole, rotting cantaloups, caravans of them, to avoid being the one who eats that precious...