10/14/2023

Back Country Villanelle

my leather heart paperweight
two repeating rhymes chambered
in a wilderness on fire

and breath and eyes against the gate
against the day a single word
my leather heart paperweight

wanting nothing, only waiting
the sublime and the absurd
my wilderness on fire

a chambered heart, forget-me-not
this hearth, this home, this portmanteau
this leather-hearted paperweight

forcing down the rusted wreck
words lost inside of other words
the ash, the sham, the shame

repeating rhymes, a rusted wreck
the shame, the scam, the loss of ash
left in this wilderness on fire
my weathered heart paperweight 

[LSS/RK, 10/7/23]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Midnight Snack I am stuffing my mouth with whole, rotting cantaloups, caravans of them, to avoid being the one who eats that precious...